DESERT WARRIOR FROM A LEGENDARY VEHICLE

M1 SUPER SHERMAN

DAK HOME

Tamiya's Sherman kit is a classic. First issued in 1974 it was overhauled in 2000 to make the Full Option kit, and again in 2010 to make the "Super Sherman M51". The rivet counters immediately went bonkers as the Super Sherman name was for the original Cast Hull 76 mm shermans the IDF received from France. Both VVSS and HVSS models were used and later updated to M50/ M51s. Tamiya's kit lacked many details and didn't change the hull very much. I made an accurate M51 with a mato hull a few years back but recently I decided to make a true SuperSherman... I dug deep into my parts box to make this tanks from several decomissioned projects... Here we go. I happended to have a 1/35 scale version as inspiration.

Really went deep into my parts box and shelf queens to find my last HVSS Tamiya parts collection. We're talking even sweeping the floors to find lost washers, nuts, bolts, and bearings...
Really went deep into my parts box and shelf queens to find my last HVSS Tamiya parts collection. We're talking even sweeping the floors to find lost washers, nuts, bolts, and bearings...
I have assembled 15 HVSS chassis now and currently building this one from spares and recycled parts. Just managed to find everything I need! Quick Rustoleum Tan Base coat.
I have assembled 15 HVSS chassis now and currently building this one from spares and recycled parts. Just managed to find everything I need! Quick Rustoleum Tan Base coat.
Decided to use a surplus M51 turret and converted it back to a stander T23 Turret by mating it to an old MATO turret.  Wish me luck!!!
Decided to use a surplus M51 turret and converted it back to a stander T23 Turret by mating it to an old MATO turret. Wish me luck!!!
Slicing and dicing the Mato because it was oversized to accommodate the airsoft. I actually quartered it and shaved until it fits...
Slicing and dicing the Mato because it was oversized to accommodate the airsoft. I actually quartered it and shaved until it fits...
Goal was to make the upper portion as smooth as possible to reduce my sanding....
Goal was to make the upper portion as smooth as possible to reduce my sanding....
Backside and lower portion almost done. Good thing I stocked up on Tamiya Putty!
Backside and lower portion almost done. Good thing I stocked up on Tamiya Putty!
Roughed together to check fit.
Roughed together to check fit.
Some turret details added and oh yeah, added the skirts. I found a pair I had liberated from a Tamiya hull to make a VVSS conversion... Med kit comes from an old Pershing.
Some turret details added and oh yeah, added the skirts. I found a pair I had liberated from a Tamiya hull to make a VVSS conversion... Med kit comes from an old Pershing.
Started dust jacket. Due to the different sizes of turret parts and mantlets, my dust jacket looks a bit big but this tank is a runner first!
Started dust jacket. Due to the different sizes of turret parts and mantlets, my dust jacket looks a bit big but this tank is a runner first!
For the record, I made a 1/35 version of this a year ago by kit bashing Tamiya kits/ Using it as my reference.
For the record, I made a 1/35 version of this a year ago by kit bashing Tamiya kits/ Using it as my reference.
Jacket made from some fabric in my garage. Styrene rod and angle cobbled together to make the fittings.
Jacket made from some fabric in my garage. Styrene rod and angle cobbled together to make the fittings.
More parts fitted for shape and position. Added Tamiya smoke launchers.
More parts fitted for shape and position. Added Tamiya smoke launchers.
Launchers got a quick update with some chain and the jacket mounts detailed with hull bosses from a Tamiya 1/48 M10.
Launchers got a quick update with some chain and the jacket mounts detailed with hull bosses from a Tamiya 1/48 M10.
I added a base coat of Rustoluem camouflage Sand. (This is where I realized I forgot to mask the bare metal portion of the gun tube common on T-23 turrets...
I added a base coat of Rustoluem camouflage Sand. (This is where I realized I forgot to mask the bare metal portion of the gun tube common on T-23 turrets...