This project has actually evolved from 2 earlier projects. To get things started, I found some cheap Heng Long Shermans.
For a vehicle with VVSS and the GAA engine set up, it is an easier starting point than my previous scratch conversions.
The model out of the box is a fair representation of a Howitzer equipped M4A3. Some crude details need handling but it isn't as bad as their M41A3
This kit even comes with overseas plugs.
To those of us who don't even pretend to run stock Heng Longs it only takes 4 screws to get inside.
The stock electronics come out easily enough.
The great battery box debate, my choice is to eliminate them.
Rotor tool to the rescue.
Plate the bottom with styrene and beef it up.
My upper hull comes from a laser cut project from our member Mitch. I gave him paper drawings from and old Cookie Sewell 1/35 offering.
Nick Aquilar resin turret added.
As the upper began a long time before the lower, I made some adjustments for the HL hull and it actually went together really well!
More experimentation, 3d Printed stamped wheels to make a slightly different version.
The plastic is a bit brittle and a bit rough but I'm adventurous.
Added a bushing.
Slight variation changes the look of a collection.
3D printed Grouser blocks and storage.
Combination of models and rc tank stowage.
Began wiring with Tamiya Pershing Guts.
The kit is intended for original Sherman electronics, no recoil.
Fitting upper hull and transmission cover.
Added Nick Aquilar turret for M36
Schumo brush guards.
Adding the standoffs for the armor
Making all the parts fit, added Tamiya brush guards etc
3D printed fuel caps and Mato engine deck.
Added bolts for engine deck.
Went for later style travel lock...
Started to add the tie downs.... Of course they begin to fall off immediately...
To get this vehicle on the field I rattle can Testors Oded the base coat.
Great runner and after a few teething runs it has matched its TD reputation.
Just added metal HL track and it runs great now.