Easy Eight with an improvised bunker on road wheels!

Sherman with Baggage!

DAK HOME

DAK NEW

PROJECTS

IN the face of deadly anti-tank weapons advancing Allied units tried many applique armor options.  Aside from additional armor plate over weak spots, spare steel track as standoff armor, or the dual puprose logs there was the readily available sandbag option. The 14th Armored Division took that up a notch by building a frame on late model M4s to hold the sandbags in place over the hull and turret.  Easily noticable it is an option I have wanted to do for a while! One funny anecdote is General Patton hated this option as it overloaded the suspension a bit and in his opinion showed a lack of confidence in their vehicles. Crews were more concerned for their a**es.

Kitbash time! I sourced a surplus HVSS Tamiya hull for the project to start the initial modifications for an Easy Eight.
Kitbash time! I sourced a surplus HVSS Tamiya hull for the project to start the initial modifications for an Easy Eight.
Insert one Heng Long VVSS M4A3 upper hull to scavenge the GAA engine deck.
Insert one Heng Long VVSS M4A3 upper hull to scavenge the GAA engine deck.
I cut out the deck with a razor saw to merge with the Tamiya upper hull with the track guards in place.
I cut out the deck with a razor saw to merge with the Tamiya upper hull with the track guards in place.
In between stages. I also scavenge the HL Turret rings.
In between stages. I also scavenge the HL Turret rings.
Nick T23 turret in place.
Nick T23 turret in place.
Brass used to fabricate the sandbag frames.
Brass used to fabricate the sandbag frames.
IMG_8990.JPG
IMG_8990.JPG
IMG_8991.JPG
IMG_8991.JPG
IMG_9015.JPG
IMG_9015.JPG
IMG_9014.JPG
IMG_9014.JPG
IMG_8992.JPG
IMG_8992.JPG
Milliput used to fabricate sandbags....
Milliput used to fabricate sandbags....
Two and a half boxes a a side and the last for the front...
Two and a half boxes a a side and the last for the front...
IMG_8262.JPG
IMG_8262.JPG
IMG_8263.JPG
IMG_8263.JPG
6 boxes total... it has added a bit of weight....
6 boxes total... it has added a bit of weight....
Thread to cut out hatch for power switch.
Thread to cut out hatch for power switch.
Detail added and it is time for primer.
Detail added and it is time for primer.
Reverse angle.
Reverse angle.
Rustoluem Camo Olive
Rustoluem Camo Olive
Light coats as there would be more color coats to follow.
Light coats as there would be more color coats to follow.
Tamiya Dark Earth and then Dark Yellow 2 added to lighten bags up.
Tamiya Dark Earth and then Dark Yellow 2 added to lighten bags up.
Racks painted various rusty colors to be the base for later efforts.
Racks painted various rusty colors to be the base for later efforts.
Different Tamiya colors used to make bags different shades.
Different Tamiya colors used to make bags different shades.
More individual colors chosen and a wash done between the bags with brown acrylic.
More individual colors chosen and a wash done between the bags with brown acrylic.
Kept the pattern going and began dry-bushing with Tamiya Buff.
Kept the pattern going and began dry-bushing with Tamiya Buff.
Detailed the spare road wheel etc.
Detailed the spare road wheel etc.
Took it outside in the sunlight for mid course evaluation.
Took it outside in the sunlight for mid course evaluation.
I like what I see so far!
I like what I see so far!
I decided to add the black camouflage stripes seen in many late war us units.
I decided to add the black camouflage stripes seen in many late war us units.
The real vehicles had the stripes painted over everything, stowage, tools, etc.
The real vehicles had the stripes painted over everything, stowage, tools, etc.
Debut on DAK field, runs great!
Debut on DAK field, runs great!
IMG_8607.JPG
IMG_8607.JPG
IMG_8610.JPG
IMG_8610.JPG
IMG_8646.JPG
IMG_8646.JPG
95FC04D5-05A7-422E-BB90-D2A657BC2772.jpeg
95FC04D5-05A7-422E-BB90-D2A657BC2772.jpeg