COME OUT FIGHTING!

DAK HOME

761st Tank Battalion "Black Panthers"

Taigen's M4A3 (w) 76mm release has allowed me to accomplish two goals on my Sherman checklist. I wanted a 76mm VVSS since the last one I had went to other members and then the scrap heap. 2nd, I always wanted to do a 761st Tank Battalion vehicle. Challenge accepted as SANTA brought your humble C.O. a Taigen Sherman.

Poppy, my dog, gave me the tank. What a surprise!
Poppy, my dog, gave me the tank. What a surprise!
10 minutes running it OOB and then I tore it apart.
10 minutes running it OOB and then I tore it apart.
Stripped, plugged, and false floor stringers placed in lower hull.
Stripped, plugged, and false floor stringers placed in lower hull.
False floor installed to house accessories and clean up interior. Just stock plastic cut to shape.
False floor installed to house accessories and clean up interior. Just stock plastic cut to shape.
As I am an IR battler and airsoft equals trouble in my realm the assembly is redone by basically cutting out the motor and leaving the rest of the assembly to act as the eventual recoil housing.
As I am an IR battler and airsoft equals trouble in my realm the assembly is redone by basically cutting out the motor and leaving the rest of the assembly to act as the eventual recoil housing.
For initial battle config I will reuse the Taigen elevation unit. Out of the box my example has the posts it sits on both broken. I did some trickery and it now works again but I'm only getting +15 and -5 degrees elev/depress. I removed the stops but no joy.  Will need servo elevation eventually.
For initial battle config I will reuse the Taigen elevation unit. Out of the box my example has the posts it sits on both broken. I did some trickery and it now works again but I'm only getting +15 and -5 degrees elev/depress. I removed the stops but no joy. Will need servo elevation eventually.
Traverse connector replaced with a JST plug to match Tamiya DMD.
Traverse connector replaced with a JST plug to match Tamiya DMD.
I used a Tamiya battle system and a Tiger base plate with some styrene to mount it in the loaders hatch. I like to put commanders in their Hatch.
I used a Tamiya battle system and a Tiger base plate with some styrene to mount it in the loaders hatch. I like to put commanders in their Hatch.
Markings for the 761st added. The segregated African-American unit was sent to the ETO around the time of the Bulge and served with distinction.
Markings for the 761st added. The segregated African-American unit was sent to the ETO around the time of the Bulge and served with distinction.
Buttoned up with Tamiya Sherman innards and ready to fight. I see a Pershing set upgrade eventually to add recoil ETC.
Buttoned up with Tamiya Sherman innards and ready to fight. I see a Pershing set upgrade eventually to add recoil ETC.
On the field and in action! Once I finally dialed in my radio settings (DX-6i) it handles really well!
On the field and in action! Once I finally dialed in my radio settings (DX-6i) it handles really well!
IN combat and holding its own!!!
IN combat and holding its own!!!
Come out fighting!!!!
Come out fighting!!!!
Small changes improve elebation, depression. I still plan on a more robust servo elevation at some point.
Small changes improve elebation, depression. I still plan on a more robust servo elevation at some point.
Handled the new elevation changes quite well until one little flurry cost me...
Handled the new elevation changes quite well until one little flurry cost me...
Taigen track pin came loose and track came apart in battle.
Taigen track pin came loose and track came apart in battle.