The 90mm gun as its AA version.
Seen here in the Pima Air and Space Museum.
Mother of the tank destroyers.
Sherman M4A3E8 aside M26 Pershing to show the "parents" of this half-breed.
M36B1 was an expedient conversion made to fill a larger order of M36 tanks when the supply of M10A1 hulls ran dry. 187 were fielded.
To explore a like minded expedient solution, Chrysler put a T26 turret on an M4 105 howitzer chassis. The decision makers decided to go forward with the M26 as a whole.
This project really began with second hand Tamiya Pershing and an incomplete Tamiya Super Sherman.
To get the project going I used a lower turret half from the Super Sherman and cut out the ring to adapt the Pershing to the Sherman.
Although the real turret rings were identical, it took a little surgery to mate these two. Still, it was only about 20 minutes work to cut away what was needed to make the match.
Most of this built is repurposed components so I can skip ahead. I pulled all the relevant Tamiya Sherman bits from my parts bin.
Once the basic parts were in place I filled in some holes and added a stowage bar from brass rod.
On the right loaders side of the turret I removed all the track hangers as the Sherman already stows 6 on the hull.
I found 1 more brush guard in the stowage bin. More shots of the puttied-in track hanger spots. I also cut away the crane stanchions as they would most likely be removed.
Time to play a bit, I whipped up some MG parts from a 3-d printed .30 cal and a combination of Tamiya and Heng Long .50 cal parts.
Now we have a common mod commanders MG and a beefed up .50 cal mount.
just enough action to be convincing.
While waiting for a few parts to be made by me… I decided to even out the paint job. This time I will start with black and paint dark to light on my modulation.
I found a product i'd like to share. Krylon has a few "camouflage" colors in their lineup. Tan, Black, and OD.
The magic is they are now formulated in the Fusion line which bonds to plastic exceptionally well.
Now comes the interesting part. I am gonna make up a new style camo scheme based on a late war 3 color variety seen on US tanks.
Total fiction it will be hard edged or "splinter style"
I used the Olive drab from the Krylon line
After a day to let the olive dry I masked again and used a random spray color I found in my garage called SAGE
Unlike anything I have done before!
Start painting up the stowage with Valejo arylics.
Brought the project to a Model club meeting. Just happens there was a King Tiger on the table.
People keep asking if it is Swedish!
Battle debut was a bit rough as the tank kept going into "god mode" with the Tamiya electronics but all else works as advertised!
Brothers in arms
Looks totally natural.
Love to run it now that I added an Impact battle system that seems to cure the god mode issue!